Herniated Disc Treatment in Anoka County, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Anoka County, MN. Herniated discs can be painful, but there is hope. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we work as a team with our patients to not only safe help your pain go away, but offer corrective care aimed at getting them back to optimal health and function. If you're suffering from symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Anoka County, MN area, call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or make an appointment online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
The spinal cord, which sends messages between the brain and the rest of your body, is protected by the vertebrae as it moves upward the spinal column. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through openings on the side of the vertebrae. Spinal discs act as tough ligaments that cushion the spine and hold it together. They are made up of a jelly-like material (nucleus pulposus) that asks as a shock absorber, and have a tough outer layer (annulus fibrosus) that protects the liquid-like center and connects the vertebrae. When intact and functioning normally, these discs allow us to bend, twist, and move, and add space so the nerves and spinal column can function properly.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the annulus fibrosus tears and the inner disc leaks out. When the leaked substance puts pressure on a nerve, it disrupts how the nerve communicates with the brain and causes symptoms in the body part associated with that nerve.
The human body has 23 intervertebral discs, and it's possible to sustain and injury to any of them. However, most herniated discs are in the lumbar region or neck.
What Are Common Symptoms of a Herniated Discs?
Depending on the specifics of your injury, your symptoms may be mild or severe, and you may or may not experience pain. If the herniation is not pressing up against a nerve, you may not feel any pain at all. Common symptoms of herniated discs include:
- Pain — As the herniated disc interferes with a nerve, that nerve can send pain signals to the brain. The pain is usually reserved to either your right or left side. While you may feel some pain in the location of the slipped disc, most most of the time symptoms will move to your extremities. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (herniated discs are a common cause of sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Lack of feeling — Either alongside or in the absence of pain, you may also feel like a part of your body has slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the damaged nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of physical activity stemming from other symptoms can cause the body to stiffen.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more severe at a certain time of day, after standing, sitting, or walking for long periods, when bending, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Why Do Herniated Discs Occur?
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and affects twice as many men as women. There are numerous risk factors associated with herniated discs:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long time
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Not regularly exercising
Treatment Options For a Herniated Disc in Anoka County, MN
There numerous treatment options for a herniated disc. At home, you may try over-the-counter medications and applying heating pads and ice to the affected area. But, eventually, you should seek professional treatment in Anoka County, MN. A medical doctor may prescribe a steroid injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of severe symptoms such as weakness or loss of normal bowel control, invasive procedures.
However, studies show that chiropractic can also ease pain and restore function after a herniated disc. Furthermore, people who see a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
How Anoka County, MN Chiropractors Treat Herniated Discs
Your chiropractic treatment for your herniated disc will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. At your initial chiropractic appointment in Anoka County, MN, your chiropractor may decide to take an X-ray. They'll also perform a physical examination, including testing the reflexes and strength of the affected body part. Then, they'll work with you to create a comprehensive treatment plan that both eases pain and reduces your likelihood of suffering another disc injury down the road.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring spinal alignment and relieving pressure on the nerves. The aim is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal adjustments. In these sessions, your Anoka County, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts to safely realign your spine, reducing pain as well as providing numerous other benefits. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 9 out of 10 practicing chiropractors. This technique involves using short thrusts over each joint, one at a time, to improve spinal alignment, proper joint function, and mobility. These are what cause the "popping" sound most people associate with chiropractic adjustments.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique utilizes a specific type of table with independent pieces to facilitate gentle and rhythmic adjustments. Your chiropractor will leverage the movements of the table to elongate and decompress the spine, and reduce pressure on herniated discs. This technique rarely ever causes pain and many patients find they enjoy it.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting cushioned wedges under each side of your pelvis. This helps move the bulging or herniated disc away from the nerve it's impinging on. Your Anoka County, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. During your appointment, they may also guide you through safe exercises with the wedges in place to get further benefit.
Anoka County, MN chiropractors offer holistic care that goes far beyond chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, endeavor to build relationships with all of our patients. Your custom herniated disc treatment plan in Anoka County, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, we also have a licensed massage therapist in our office. When a nerve is compressed, it restricts the movement of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy can help reduce that tension. Massage is especially good at helping people who are experiencing muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms reemerging down the road. Proper posture prevents your spine from becoming misaligned and prevents unequal weight distribution. We can also teach you tips for correct posture while lifting so you don't aggravate a herniated disc when you're physically active.
- Patient education — We want you to leave your herniated disc treatment feeling better than you did before you came to see us. We'll also help you understand how a healthy diet and regular exercise helps to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you see us for your herniated disc treatment in Anoka County, MN, your treatment plan will be personally tailored to you, and we will put you on the best path forward toward optimal movement health.
Visit Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Anoka County, MN
Most herniated discs can be healed effectively with professional chiropractic care in Anoka County, MN. With safe techniques that have proven to be effective, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or request an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Anoka County, MN today.