Herniated Disc Treatment in Apple Valley, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Apple Valley, MN. Herniated discs can be debilitating, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Chiropractic care is a drug-free, non-surgical way to treat herniated discs and ease the pain. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we work as a team with our patients to not just ease symptoms, but offer corrective care aimed at helping them feel better every day. If you're suffering from symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Apple Valley, MN area, Speak to a member of the Total Spine team today at (763) 568-7869 or request an appointment online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
The Anatomy of a Herniated Disc
The spinal cord and nerve roots that send messages between the brain and the rest of your body pass through openings in each vertebra of your spine. Intervertebral discs are tough, flexible cushions between each vertebrae. They are made up of a jelly-like fluid (nucleus pulposus) that asks as a shock absorber, which is protected by a firm circular exterior (annulus fibrosus). When healthy, these discs allow us to bend, twist, and move, and add space so the nerves and spinal column are not disrupted.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc ruptures the surface of the outer layer. When the leaked substance impinges on a nerve, it disrupts how the nerve communicates with the brain and causes symptoms in the body part associated with that nerve.
There are 23 spinal discs, and any of them can become herniated. However, most occur in the lower back or neck.
What Are Common Symptoms of a Herniated Discs?
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your herniated disc, with some people not experiencing any pain at all. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is almost always only on one side of the body. While you may feel some soreness in the location of the slipped disc, most pain will radiate to your extremities. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back, through your buttocks, thigh, calf, and possibly feet (this is often referred to as sciatica). Herniated discs in the neck tend to cause pain in your shoulder or arm.
- Tingling — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also feel like your buttocks, leg, arm, or shoulder have slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the disrupted nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of physical activity as the result of bed rest can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms can come and go, and may be more severe at a certain time of day, after staying in the same position for a long time, when bending, and when sneezing, coughing, or laughing.
Risk Factors For Herniated Discs
About 2% of American adults experience a herniated disc each year It mostly occurs to people between 30 and 50 years old, and has a male to female ratio of 2:1. Someone may be more likely to suffer a herniated disc with:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Inactive lifestyle
How Are Herniated Discs Treated in Apple Valley, MN?
There numerous treatment options for a herniated disc. At home, you may try ibuprofen and varying heat and ice therapy to the affected disc. But, eventually, you should seek professional treatment in Apple Valley, MN. A medical doctor may prescribe a steroid injection, neuropathic drugs, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as difficulty standing or walking or loss of normal bladder control, microdiscectomy surgery.
However, studies show a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Furthermore, people who see a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are almost twice as likely to be prescribed opioids.
Chiropractic For Apple Valley, MN Herniated Disc Treatment
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. At your first chiropractic appointment in Apple Valley, MN, your chiropractor will likely take an X-ray. They'll also perform a physical examination, including testing the reflexes and strength of the affected body part. Then, they'll design a comprehensive treatment plan that both reduces your symptoms and decreases your risk of sustaining another disc injury in the future.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring spinal alignment and relieving pressure on the nerves. The objective is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. With various techniques, your Apple Valley, MN chiropractor perform give quick, targeted thrusts on your back or neck in order to safely return vertebrae and discs to where they should be, easing symptoms and improving function. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is the most common chiropractic technique in the world. This technique involves using short thrusts over each joint individually to correctly align the spine and improve function. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound most people associate with chiropractic adjustments.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique uses a specific type of table with independent pieces to carry out gentle and rhythmic adjustments. Your chiropractor will leverage the movements of the table to elongate the spine and reduce tension between your discs, nerves, vertebrae and joints. This technique rarely ever causes pain and many patients say that it feels good.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This helps move the bulging or herniated disc away from the nerve it's pushing up against. Your Apple Valley, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. During your appointment, they might also guide you through safe exercises during your session to further improve mobility.
Apple Valley, MN chiropractors offer a treatment aimed at your continuing wellness that goes well beyond chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, want to get to know our clients in their total health journey. We may also incorporate the following in your tailored herniated disc treatment plan in Apple Valley, MN:
- Massage therapy — Beyond just a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a nerve is compressed, it limits the flexibility of related muscles. Massage therapy can help liberate that tightness. Massage is especially good at helping people who are experiencing muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Sitting, standing, and movement with good posture both helps prevent slipped discs and helps keep the symptoms from coming back. Appropriate posture keeps your spine in correct alignment and prevents unequal weight distribution. We can also teach you tips for good posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Lifestyle tips — We want you to feel good every day after your herniated disc treatment with us. We'll also help you understand how a healthy diet and regular exercise helps to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Apple Valley, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward optimal movement health.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Apple Valley, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Apple Valley, MN, you can alleviate the symptoms related to your herniated disc, reduce the chances of re-injury in the future, and feel better in your everyday life. With safe techniques based on research and modern practices, Total Spine can be your partner in recovering from your injuries. Call us today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us through our website for herniated disc treatment in Apple Valley, MN today.