Herniated Disc Treatment in Becker, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Becker, MN. Herniated discs can be excruciating, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we work as a team with the people we treat to not only mitigate pain, but offer a comprehensive treatment plan aimed at helping them feel better every day. If you're experiencing symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Becker, MN area, call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or request an appointment online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
The spinal cord, which sends messages between the brain and the rest of your body, is protected by the vertebrae as it moves upward the spinal column. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through openings on the side of the vertebrae. Intervertebral discs act as tough ligaments that cushion the spine and hold it together. They are made up of a gel-like fluid (nucleus pulposus) that allows for shock absorption and movement, and have a firm circular exterior (annulus fibrosus) that protects the disc and connects the vertebrae. When intact and functioning normally, these discs allow our spines to move in a variety of ways, and add space between the nerves and where they exit the spinal column.
A herniated disc is a spine-related injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc is pushed out of the outer layer. When the leaked substance pushes up against a nerve, it causes problems for the body part that that specific nerve controls.
There are 23 discs in the spine, and it's possible to suffer and injury to any of them. However, most herniated discs are in the lower back or neck.
What Are Common Symptoms of a Herniated Discs?
Depending on the specifics of your injury, the severity of your symptoms can vary greatly, and you may or may not experience pain. If the herniation is not pressing up against a nerve, you may not feel any pain at all. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is usually reserved to one side of the body. While you may feel some soreness in the location of the slipped disc, most most of the time symptoms will move to your extremities. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (herniated discs are a common cause of sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Lack of feeling — Either alongside or in the absence of pain, you may also experience tingling in your buttocks, leg, shoulder, or arm.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles controlled by the damaged nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of physical activity stemming from other symptoms can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more worse at night, after standing, sitting, or walking for long periods, when performing certain movements, and when sneezing, coughing, or laughing.
Risk Factors For Herniated Discs
About 2% of adults in the U.S. experience a herniated disc each year happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and has a male to female ratio of 2:1. A herniated disc can happen for numerous reasons:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Being overweight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Not lifting with proper technique
- Old age
- Not being physically active
Treatment Options For a Herniated Disc in Becker, MN
There are a variety of herniated disc treatments available. At home, you may try ibuprofen and applying heat packs and ice to the affected area. But, eventually, you should seek professional treatment in Becker, MN. A physician may prescribe a cortisone injection, muscle relaxers, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as debilitating pain or loss of normal bladder control, invasive procedures.
However, the evidence demonstrates that chiropractic can also ease pain and restore function after a herniated disc. Moreover, people who see a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
Chiropractic For Becker, MN Herniated Disc Treatment
Your chiropractic treatment for your herniated disc will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. At your first chiropractic appointment in Becker, MN, your chiropractor will likely perform imaging tests. They'll also perform a physical examination, including testing the reflexes and strength of the affected body part. Then, they'll work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan aimed at getting you feeling even better than you did before your disc injury.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring spinal alignment and relieving pressure on the nerves. The objective is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal adjustments. In these adjustments, your Becker, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts on your back or neck in order to safely realign your spine, easing symptoms as well as providing numerous other benefits. There are a variety of chiropractic techniques they may use in your treatment:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 95% of practicing chiropractors. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize quick thrusts over each joint individually to improve spinal alignment, proper joint function, and mobility. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound many people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
Also called the Cox method, this utilizes a specially designed table with individual segments to perform gentle and rhythmic adjustments. The adjustments, combined with the movements of the table, elongate the spine and reduce tension between your discs, nerves, vertebrae and joints. Sessions are usually pain-free and, in many cases, pleasant.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This draws the disc away from the affected nerve. Your Becker, MN chiropractor will show you how you can do this for yourself at home. During your adjustment, they might also guide you through safe exercises during your session to further improve mobility.
Becker, MN chiropractors offer holistic care that goes well beyond chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, want to build relationships with all of our patients. Your custom herniated disc treatment plan in Becker, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, we also have a licensed massage therapist in our office. When a disc impinges on a nerve, it limits the flexibility of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy works to reduce that tightness. Massage is especially good at helping people who are experiencing muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Sitting, standing, and movement with good posture both helps prevent slipped discs and helps keep the symptoms from coming back. Proper posture keeps your spine in correct alignment and prevents unequal weight distribution. We'll help you understand tips for correct posture while lifting so you don't aggravate a herniated disc when you're physically active.
- Patient education — Our goal isn't just to give you pain relief in the moment. We'll also help you understand how a healthy diet and regular exercise helps to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Becker, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Call Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Becker, MN
Most herniated discs can be healed effectively with professional chiropractic care in Becker, MN. With safe techniques that have proven to be effective, Total Spine can be your partner in recovering from your injuries. Call us today at (763) 568-7869 or make an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Becker, MN today.