Herniated Disc Treatment in Circle Pines, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Circle Pines, MN. Herniated discs can be painful, but with the right treatment you can overcome your symptoms. Chiropractic care is a drug-free, non-invasive way to treat herniated discs and ease the pain. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we work in tandem with the people who come to see us to not just safe help your pain go away, but offer a comprehensive treatment plan with the objecting of getting them back to optimal wellness. If you're experiencing pain and limited motion in the Circle Pines, MN area, Speak to a member of the Total Spine team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for safe and effective herniated disc treatment.
The Anatomy of a Herniated Disc
The spinal cord and nerve roots that control your body's movements pass through openings in each vertebra of your spine. The discs in our spine are tough, flexible pads between each vertebrae. They are made up of a gel-like material (nucleus pulposus) that allows for shock absorption and movement, and have a strong circular exterior (annulus fibrosus) that protects the disc and connects the vertebrae. When intact and functioning normally, these discs allow us to bend, twist, and move, and add space between the nerves and where they exit the spinal column.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the annulus fibrosus tears and the nucleus pulposus leaks out. When the leaked substance pushes up against a nerve, it affects the body part that that specific nerve controls.
The human body has 23 intervertebral discs, and any of them can become herniated. However, most occur in the lower back or neck.
What Are Common Symptoms of a Herniated Discs?
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your injury, with some people not experiencing any pain at all. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is usually reserved to either your right or left side. While you may feel some pain in the location of the slipped disc, most pain will move to your extremities. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back, through your buttocks, thigh, calf, and possibly feet (this is often referred to as sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Numbness — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also feel like a part of your body has slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the damaged nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise stemming from other symptoms can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more worse at a certain time of day, after staying in the same position for a long time, when bending, and when sneezing, coughing, or laughing.
Why Do Herniated Discs Occur?
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and affects twice as many men as women. A herniated disc can happen for a variety of reasons:
- Performing certain movements repeatedly
- Sitting in the same position for a long time
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Not lifting with proper technique
- Not regularly exercising
How Are Herniated Discs Treated in Circle Pines, MN?
Your herniated disc treatment will depend on the severity of your symptoms and where the disc is located. At home, you may try ibuprofen and varying heat and ice therapy to the affected area. But, eventually, you should seek professional treatment in Circle Pines, MN. A medical doctor may advise a cortisone injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as weakness or loss of normal bowel control, surgery.
But, the evidence demonstrates a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Furthermore, chiropractic care reduces the likelihood of surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are almost twice as likely to be prescribed opioids.
How Circle Pines, MN Chiropractors Treat Herniated Discs
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will be based on your specific situation. When you first see your Circle Pines, MN chiropractor, your chiropractor will likely take an X-ray. They'll also test your pain level reflexes, strength, and sensation in the body part related to the damages nerve. Then, they'll come up with a personalized treatment plan aimed at getting you feeling even better than you did before your disc injury.
Chiropractors use a variety of techniques to treat herniated discs, including massage, traction, and adjustments. They will also often give advice on how to live healthier, such as exercises to strengthen the spine and improve flexibility.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal adjustments. With various techniques, your Circle Pines, MN chiropractor perform give quick, targeted thrusts to safely return vertebrae and discs to their proper alignment, reducing pain as well as providing numerous other benefits. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is the most common chiropractic technique in the world. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize short thrusts over each joint, one at a time, to improve spinal alignment, proper joint function, and mobility. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound most people associate with chiropractic adjustments.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique uses a specific type of table with independent pieces to carry out gentle and rhythmic adjustments. Your chiropractor will leverage the movements of the table to stretch and decompress the spine, and reduce tension between your discs, nerves, vertebrae and joints. This technique rarely ever causes pain and many patients find they enjoy it.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This helps move the bulging or herniated disc away from the nerve it's pushing up against. Your Circle Pines, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. While at their office, they may also help you perform safe exercises during your session to get further benefit.
Circle Pines, MN chiropractors offer holistic care that goes far beyond chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, endeavor to get to know our clients in their total health journey. Your personalized herniated disc treatment plan in Circle Pines, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — Beyond just a chiropractor, we also have a licensed massage therapist on our team. When a disc presses up against a nerve, it limits the flexibility of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy can help reduce that tightness. Massage is especially good at helping people whose symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms coming back in the future. Proper posture prevents your spine from becoming misaligned and prevents unequal weight distribution. We'll help you understand tips for good posture while lifting so you don't irritate a herniated disc when you're physically active.
- Lifestyle tips — Our goal isn't just to offer pain relief for a few days. We'll also help you understand how a healthy diet and regular exercise helps to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you see us for your herniated disc treatment in Circle Pines, MN, your treatment plan will be personally tailored to you, and we will put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Call Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Circle Pines, MN
Most herniated discs can be healed effectively with professional chiropractic care in Circle Pines, MN. With safe techniques that have proven to be effective, Total Spine can be your partner in recovering from your injuries. Call us today at (763) 568-7869 or schedule an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Circle Pines, MN today.