Herniated Disc Treatment in Golden Valley, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Golden Valley, MN. Herniated discs can be painful, but there is hope. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we form a team with our patients to not just safe help your pain go away, but offer corrective care with the objecting of helping them feel better every day. If you're suffering from pain and limited motion in the Golden Valley, MN area, Speak to a member of the Total Spine team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us through our website for safe and effective herniated disc treatment.
The Anatomy of a Herniated Disc
The spinal cord, which controls your body's movements, passes upward through each vertebrae. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through openings on the side of the vertebrae. Intervertebral discs act as tough ligaments that cushion the spine and hold it together. They are made up of a jelly-like substance (nucleus pulposus) that asks as a shock absorber, which is protected by a tough outer layer (annulus fibrosus). When healthy, these discs allow our spines to move in a variety of ways, and add space so the nerves and spinal column can function properly.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc ruptures the surface of the outer layer. When the leaked material puts pressure on a nerve, it causes problems for the body part that that specific nerve is related to.
The human body has 23 intervertebral discs, and any of them can become herniated. However, most occur in the lumbar region or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your injury, with some people not experiencing any pain at all. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is usually reserved to either your right or left side. While you may feel some soreness in the location of the slipped disc, most most of the time pain will reach out to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in your lower back can cause pain in your lower back, through your buttocks, thigh, calf, and possibly feet (this is often referred to as sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Lack of feeling — Either alongside or in the absence of pain, you may also feel like a part of your body has slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the affected nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of physical activity stemming from other symptoms can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms can come and go, and may be more worse at night, after staying in the same position for a long time, when bending, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Who Gets Herniated Discs?
About 2% of adults in the U.S. suffer a herniated disc annually happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and affects twice as many men as women. A herniated disc can happen for a variety of reasons:
- Performing certain movements repeatedly
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Not lifting with proper technique
- Old age
- Inactive lifestyle
How Are Herniated Discs Treated in Golden Valley, MN?
Your herniated disc treatment will depend on the severity of your symptoms and where the disc is located. At home, you may try ibuprofen and applying heating pads and ice to the affected area. But, eventually, you should seek professional treatment in Golden Valley, MN. A physician may advise a steroid injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of severe symptoms such as debilitating pain or loss of normal bladder function, invasive procedures.
However, studies show a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Furthermore, chiropractic care reduces the likelihood of surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are almost twice as likely to be prescribed opioids.
How Golden Valley, MN Chiropractors Can Help With Herniated Discs
Your chiropractic treatment for your herniated disc will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. At your first chiropractic appointment in Golden Valley, MN, your chiropractor will likely take an X-ray. They'll also test your pain level reflexes, strength, and sensation in the body part related to the damages nerve. Then, they'll design a holistic treatment plan that both eases pain and reduces your risk of suffering another disc injury down the road.
Chiropractors use a variety of techniques to treat herniated discs, including massage, traction, and adjustments. They will also often give advice on lifestyle changes, such as exercises to strengthen the spine and improve mobility.
Chiropractors are most known for giving what's called chiropractic adjustments, or spinal adjustments. In these sessions, your Golden Valley, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts to safely realign your spine, relieving symptoms and improving function. There are a variety of chiropractic techniques they may use in your treatment:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 9 out of 10 practicing chiropractors. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize quick thrusts over each joint individually to correctly align the spine and improve function. These are what cause the "popping" sound many people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
Also called the Cox method, this uses a specific type of table with individual pieces to perform gentle and rhythmic adjustments. Your chiropractor will leverage the movements of the table to elongate and decompress the spine, and reduce pressure on problematic discs. Sessions are normally pain-free and, in many cases, pleasant.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting cushioned wedges under each side of your pelvis. This helps move the bulging or herniated disc away from the nerve it's affecting. Your Golden Valley, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. While at their office, they might also help you perform safe exercises during your session to get further benefit.
Golden Valley, MN chiropractors offer a treatment aimed at your continuing wellness that goes far beyond chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, endeavor to build relationships with all of our patients. We may also include the following in your custom herniated disc treatment plan in Golden Valley, MN:
- Massage therapy — Beyond just a chiropractor, we also have a licensed massage therapist on our team. When a nerve is compressed, it restricts the movement of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy works to reduce that tension. Massage is especially good at helping people whose symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms coming back down the road. Appropriate posture prevents your spine from becoming misaligned and distributes weight evenly across your body. We'll help you understand tips for good posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Patient education — Our goal isn't just to give you pain relief for a few days. We can also offer nutrition and exercise advice to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Golden Valley, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward optimal movement health.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Golden Valley, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Golden Valley, MN, you can ease the symptoms related to your herniated disc, reduce the odds of re-injury in the future, and feel better than you did before. With safe techniques based on research and modern practices, Total Spine can be your partner in recovering from your injuries. Speak to a member of the Total Spine team today at (763) 568-7869 or make an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Golden Valley, MN today.