Herniated Disc Treatment in Mounds View, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Mounds View, MN. Herniated discs can be painful, but with the right treatment you can move past your symptoms. Chiropractic care is a drug-free, non-surgical way to treat herniated discs and ease the pain. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we partner with our patients to not just safe help your pain go away, but offer a comprehensive treatment plan aimed at getting them back to optimal wellness. If you're experiencing symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Mounds View, MN area, call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
The spinal cord and nerve roots that send messages between the brain and the rest of your body pass through openings in each vertebra of your spine. Spinal discs are tough, flexible cushions between each vertebrae. They are filled with a jelly-like substance (nucleus pulposus) that asks as a shock absorber, which is protected by a strong outer layer (annulus fibrosus). When healthy, these discs allow us to bend, twist, and move, and add space so the nerves and spinal column are not disrupted.
A herniated disc is a spine-related injury that occurs when the outer layer tears and the nucleus pulposus leaks out. When the leaked substance pushes up against a nerve, it disrupts how the nerve communicates with the brain and causes symptoms in the body part related to that nerve.
The human body has 23 intervertebral discs, and any of them can become herniated. However, most occur in the lumbar region or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your herniated disc, with some people having little to no pain. If the herniation is not interfering with a nerve, you may not feel any pain at all. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is usually reserved to either your right or left side. While you may feel some soreness in the location of the slipped disc, most pain will radiate to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in your lower back can cause pain in your lower back, through your buttocks, thigh, calf, and possibly feet (herniated discs are a common cause of sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Tingling — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also feel like your buttocks, leg, arm, or shoulder have slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the affected nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of physical activity stemming from other symptoms can cause the body to stiffen.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more severe at a certain time of day, after standing, sitting, or walking for long periods, when bending, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Risk Factors For Herniated Discs
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and affects twice as many men as women. There are numerous risk factors associated with herniated discs:
- Performing certain movements repeatedly
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Not being physically active
How Are Herniated Discs Treated in Mounds View, MN?
There numerous treatment options for a herniated disc. At home, you may try anti-inflammatory medications and applying heat packs and ice to the affected area. But, eventually, you should seek professional treatment in Mounds View, MN. A physician may advise a steroid injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as debilitating pain or loss of normal bladder control, a diskectomy.
However, studies show that chiropractic can also ease pain and restore function after a herniated disc. Moreover, people who see a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who did not get chiropractic treatment are 1.5 to 2 times more likely to to fill an opioid prescription.
Chiropractic For Mounds View, MN Herniated Disc Treatment
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will depend on your specific situation. At your initial chiropractic appointment in Mounds View, MN, your chiropractor will likely perform imaging tests. They'll also test your pain level reflexes, strength, and sensation in the body part related to the damages nerve. Then, they'll work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan aimed at getting you feeling even better than you did before your disc injury.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring spinal alignment and relieving pressure on the nerves. The goal is to reduce pain and improve function.
Chiropractors are most known for giving what's called chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. In these sessions, your Mounds View, MN chiropractor perform give quick, targeted thrusts to safely return vertebrae and discs to their proper alignment, easing symptoms and improving function. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is the most common chiropractic technique in the world. This technique involves using quick thrusts over each joint individually to improve spinal alignment, proper joint function, and mobility. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound many people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique uses a specific type of table with individual segments to carry out gentle and rhythmic adjustments. The adjustments, combined with the movements of the table, elongate the spine and reduce pressure on problematic discs. This technique rarely ever causes pain and many patients find they enjoy it.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting cushioned wedges under each side of your pelvis. This draws the disc away from the affected nerve. Your Mounds View, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. During your sessions, they might also help you perform safe exercises during your session to get further benefit.
The herniated disc treatment you receive from your Mounds View, MN chiropractor does not begin and end at chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, want to build relationships with all of our patients. Your personalized herniated disc treatment plan in Mounds View, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — Beyond just a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a disc impinges on a nerve, it restricts the mobility of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy works to reduce that tension. Massage is particularly effective if your symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms reemerging in the future. Proper posture prevents your spine from becoming misaligned and prevents unequal weight distribution. We'll help you understand tips for correct posture while lifting so you don't irritate a herniated disc when you're physically active.
- Lifestyle tips — Our goal isn't just to offer pain relief in the moment. We show you things you can do on your own for longevity and quality of life, movement and mobility.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Mounds View, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Visit Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Mounds View, MN
Most herniated discs can be healed effectively with professional chiropractic care in Mounds View, MN. With safe techniques based on research and modern practices, Total Spine can be your partner in recovering from your injuries. Call us today at (763) 568-7869 or schedule an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Mounds View, MN today.