Most people think that the majority of car accidents in Maple Grove occur during the winter; contrary to popular belief, there is only a small discrepancy between the number of auto injuries when comparing the winter and summer months. The difference in road conditions is balanced out by the increased summer traffic and higher speeds when driving. Regardless of the season, every car accident, whether it seems big or small, should be taken seriously.
Auto injuries can include both hard and soft tissue injuries. Soft tissue injuries typically involve the connective tissue that surround the spine and joints; by this we're referring to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. In a car accident, these tissues can be stretched, torn, sprained, or strained, which may result in permanent damage.
In a large number of neck and back injuries, the injury results from a rapid change in the speed of the head and torso in an auto accident. This acceleration/deceleration injury is commonly referred to as a "whiplash injury". Now, in many cases following an auto accident, symptoms may not become apparent for weeks or months; hence why it's so important to get checked by a chiropractor following any type of auto accident, regardless of how minor it may appear.
If you have been in a car accident or any other kind of accident, don't assume that you have walked away without injury simply because you don't immediately hurt or feel pain. Too often, people make the mistake of not seeking treatment following an auto injury simply because they aren't in tremendous amounts of pain. Unfortunately, these types of trauma lead to more serious complications down the road, such as degeneration and accelerated aging. Studies show that nearly half of those individuals that fail to seek treatment following any type of acceleration/deceleration accidents complain of symptoms and injuries down the road that they believe were related.
Possible injuries and symptoms following a Car Accident:
- Muscle Stiffness
- Neck Pain
- Lower Back Pain or Stiffness
- Pain Between the Shoulder Blades
- Numbness and Tingling
- Pain in the Arms, Legs, Hands, or Feet
- Jaw Pain
- Trouble Sleeping
- Ringing in the Ears
- Blurred Vision
- Difficulty Swallowing
So, what do you do following a Car Accident in Maple Grove?
Drivers in Minnesota are protected by Minnesota No-Fault Insurance. This means that anyone that was injured in a car accident can receive the treatment that they need with no out of pocket cost. These rules apply for both driver and passenger and are in place regardless of whether you were or were not at fault.
Let's Check Out the Facts!
- You have 100% coverage for any injuries resulting from an auto accident.
- It is illegal for your insurance company to raise your rates if someone hits you.
- Your car insurance rates cannot go up as a result of you seeking treatment.
- If you are injured in a car accident, all Minnesota auto insurance policies are required to have a minimum of $20,000 in medical expense coverage.
- You can see any chiropractor without a referral.
- Even if the other driver is uninsured you still have medical coverage.
- Pain may not show up for days or weeks following the accident, but the sooner you get checked, the better.
- If you are injured, you may be entitled to compensation for missed work, pain and suffering, and mileage and driving costs that result from seeking treatment.
- About 3 million car accident victims experience whiplash each year and 1/3 of those will suffer from chronic pain.
- 93% of people who experience a whiplash injury and seek chiropractic treatment found relief and improvement.
- The majority of injuries from car accidents occur at low speeds (less than 12 mph).
- If your spine heals wrong it will never be the same.
- There is no relationship between the amount of damage to a vehicle and the severity of someone's injuries. Many times injuries can occur without any visible damage to the vehicle.
- Improper healing and failure to get treatment can lead to chronic pain, arthritis, and accelerate aging.
So, be sure to know your rights following a car accident. Accidents happen, and regardless of whether or not you were at fault, it's important to take the right steps and get checked out by a skilled chiropractor.
If you have been involved in a car accident, you need a chiropractor that specializes in treatment for whiplash and other auto accident injuries. Check out Total Spine Health and Injury Center for more info on how our Maple Grove chiropractic office can help you restore your health following a car accident.