Herniated Disc Treatment in Chanhassen, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Chanhassen, MN. Herniated discs can be painful, but you don't have to accept the limits it places on your life. Chiropractic care is a drug-free, non-invasive way to treat herniated discs and ease the pain. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we partner with our patients to not only safe help your pain go away, but offer corrective care aimed at getting them back to optimal mobility and health. If you're suffering from pain and limited motion in the Chanhassen, MN area, Speak to a member of our team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for safe and effective herniated disc treatment.
The Anatomy of a Herniated Disc
The spinal cord, which controls your body's movements, passes upward through each vertebrae. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through openings on the side of the vertebrae. The discs in our spine are tough, flexible cushions between each vertebrae. They are filled with a gel-like substance (nucleus pulposus) that allows for shock absorption and movement, which is protected by a firm circular exterior (annulus fibrosus). When healthy, these discs allow for a variety of movements, and add space so the nerves and spinal column can function properly.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the outer layer tears and the nucleus pulposus leaks out. When the leaked material puts pressure on a nerve, it causes problems for the body part that that specific nerve is related to.
The human body has 23 intervertebral discs, and any of them can become herniated. However, most occur in the lumbar region or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your herniated disc, with some people not experiencing any pain at all. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. Common symptoms of herniated discs include:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is almost always only on one side of the body. While you may feel some pain in the location of the slipped disc, most most of the time symptoms will radiate to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (this is often referred to as sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Numbness — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also feel like your buttocks, leg, arm, or shoulder have slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the damaged nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise as the result of bed rest can cause the body to stiffen.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more severe at a certain time of day, after standing, sitting, or walking for long periods, when bending, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Why Do Herniated Discs Occur?
About 2% of American adults suffer a herniated disc annually happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and affects twice as many men as women. Someone may be more likely to experience a herniated disc with:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Not being physically active
How Are Herniated Discs Treated in Chanhassen, MN?
There are a variety of herniated disc treatments available. Before seeking professional medical attention, you may try anti-inflammatory medications and varying heat and ice therapy to the affected area. But, if your symptoms worsen or won't go away, you should seek professional treatment in Chanhassen, MN. A physician may advise a steroid injection, muscle relaxers, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as weakness or loss of normal bowel control, microdiscectomy surgery.
But, studies show a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Moreover, people who are treated by a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who did not get chiropractic treatment are 1.5 to 2 times more likely to be prescribed opioids.
How Chanhassen, MN Chiropractors Treat Herniated Discs
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will depend on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. When you first see your Chanhassen, MN chiropractor, your chiropractor will likely perform imaging tests. They'll also perform a physical examination, including testing the reflexes and strength of the affected body part. Then, they'll come up with a personalized treatment plan aimed at getting you feeling even better than you did before your disc injury.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring spinal alignment and relieving pressure on the nerves. The aim is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal adjustments. In these adjustments, your Chanhassen, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts on your back or neck in order to safely return vertebrae and discs to where they should be, easing symptoms and improving function. There are a variety of chiropractic techniques they may use in your treatment:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is the most common chiropractic technique in the world. This technique involves using short thrusts over each joint, one at a time, to correctly align the spine and improve function. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound many people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique uses a specially designed table with individual pieces to perform gentle and rhythmic adjustments. The adjustments, combined with the movements of the table, extend and decompress the spine, and reduce tension between your discs, nerves, vertebrae and joints. This technique rarely ever causes pain and many patients find they enjoy it.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This draws the disc away from the affected nerve. Your Chanhassen, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. During your adjustment, they will also guide you through safe exercises with the wedges in place to further improve mobility.
Chanhassen, MN chiropractors offer holistic care that goes well beyond chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, strive to get to know our clients in their total health journey. We may also include the following in your custom herniated disc treatment plan in Chanhassen, MN:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, we also have a licensed massage therapist on our team. When a disc impinges on a nerve, it restricts the flexibility of related muscles. Massage therapy can help free that tension. Massage is particularly good at helping people who are experiencing muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Sitting, standing, and movement with good posture both helps prevent slipped discs and helps keep the symptoms from coming back. Correct posture keeps your spine in correct alignment and prevents unequal weight distribution. We can also teach you tips for good posture while lifting so you don't aggravate a herniated disc when you're physically active.
- Patient education — Our goal isn't just to provide pain relief in the moment. We can also offer nutrition and exercise advice to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you see us for your herniated disc treatment in Chanhassen, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Chanhassen, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Chanhassen, MN, you can ease pain, reduce the odds of re-injury in the future, and feel better than you did before. With safe techniques based on research and modern practices, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Speak to a member of our team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us through our website for herniated disc treatment in Chanhassen, MN today.