Herniated Disc Treatment in Chaska, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Chaska, MN. Herniated discs can be painful, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Chiropractic care is a drug-free, non-invasive way to treat herniated discs and ease the pain. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we form a team with our patients to not only mitigate pain, but offer a holistic treatment plan with the objecting of helping them feel better every day. If you're experiencing symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Chaska, MN area, call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or schedule an appointment online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
The Anatomy of a Herniated Disc
The spinal cord and nerve roots that control your body's movements pass through openings in each vertebra of your spine. Intervertebral discs are tough, flexible cushions between each vertebrae. They are filled with a gel-like fluid (nucleus pulposus) that allows for shock absorption and movement, and have a tough circular exterior (annulus fibrosus) that protects the liquid-like center and connects the vertebrae. When healthy, these discs allow our spines to move in a variety of ways, and add space between the nerves and where they exit the spinal column.
A herniated disc is a spine-related injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc is pushed out of the outer layer. When the leaked material pushes up against a nerve, it affects the body part that that specific nerve controls.
The human body has 23 spinal discs, and it's possible to sustain and injury to any of them. However, most herniated discs are in the lumbar region or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your herniated disc, with some people not experiencing any pain at all. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. Common symptoms of herniated discs include:
- Pain — As the herniated disc presses against a nerve, that nerve can send pain signals to the brain. The pain is usually reserved to either your right or left side. While the location of the herniated disc may be sore, most pain will radiate to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (herniated discs are a common cause of sciatica). Herniated discs in the neck tend to cause pain in your upper extremities.
- Tingling — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also feel like a part of your body has slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles controlled by the disrupted nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise as the result of bed rest can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more worse at a certain time of day, after staying in the same position for a long time, when performing certain movements, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Who Gets Herniated Discs?
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. It mostly occurs to people between 30 and 50 years old, and has a male to female ratio of 2:1. There are many risk factors for a herniated disc:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Old age
- Not regularly exercising
Treatment Options For a Herniated Disc in Chaska, MN
There numerous treatment options for a herniated disc. Before seeking treatment from a professional, you may try anti-inflammatory medications and varying heat and ice therapy to the affected disc. But, if your symptoms worsen or won't go away, it's best to see a medical professional in Chaska, MN. A medical doctor may prescribe a cortisone injection, muscle relaxers, physical therapy, or, in the case of severe symptoms such as difficulty standing or walking or loss of normal bowel function, surgery.
However, the evidence demonstrates that chiropractic is also an effective treatment for a herniated disc. Furthermore, people who see a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are almost twice as likely to be prescribed opioids.
Chiropractic For Chaska, MN Herniated Disc Treatment
Your chiropractic treatment for your herniated disc will be based on your specific situation. At your first chiropractic appointment in Chaska, MN, your chiropractor will probably perform imaging tests. They'll also perform a physical examination, including testing the reflexes and strength of the affected body part. Then, they'll work with you to develop a holistic treatment plan that both reduces your symptoms and reduces your risk of experiencing another disc injury down the road.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring alignment to the spine and relieving pressure on the nerves. The objective is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. In these sessions, your Chaska, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts to safely realign your spine, reducing symptoms as well as providing numerous other benefits. There are a variety of chiropractic techniques they may use in your treatment:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 9 out of 10 practicing chiropractors. This technique involves using short thrusts over each joint individually to improve spinal alignment, proper joint function, and mobility. These are what cause the "popping" sound many people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique uses a specific type of table with individual pieces to facilitate gentle and rhythmic adjustments. The adjustments, combined with the movements of the table, elongate the spine and reduce tension between your discs, nerves, vertebrae and joints. Sessions are normally pain-free and, in many cases, pleasant.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This helps move the bulging or herniated disc away from the nerve it's pushing up against. Your Chaska, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. While at their office, they might also guide you through safe exercises during your session to get further benefit.
The herniated disc treatment you receive from your Chaska, MN chiropractor does not begin and end at chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, endeavor to build relationships with all of our patients. Your personalized herniated disc treatment plan in Chaska, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a nerve is compressed, it restricts the movement of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy can help free that tension. Massage is particularly good at helping people who are experiencing muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms coming back in the future. Proper posture prevents your spine from becoming misaligned and distributes weight evenly across your body. We can also teach you tips for good posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Lifestyle tips — Our goal isn't just to provide pain relief in the moment. We show you things you can do on your own for longevity and quality of life, movement and mobility.
When you see us for your herniated disc treatment in Chaska, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward optimal movement health.
Call Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Chaska, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Chaska, MN, you can alleviate the symptoms related to your herniated disc, reduce the odds of re-injury in the future, and feel better than you did before. With safe techniques that have proven to be effective, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Call us today at (763) 568-7869 or request an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Chaska, MN today.