Herniated Disc Treatment in Eden Prairie, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Eden Prairie, MN. Herniated discs can be excruciating, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we form a team with the people who come to see us to not only safe help your pain go away, but offer a comprehensive treatment plan aimed at helping them feel better every day. If you're suffering from symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Eden Prairie, MN area, Speak to a member of the Total Spine team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
The spinal cord and nerve roots that control your body's movements pass through openings in each vertebra of your spine. Spinal discs are tough, flexible cushions between each vertebrae. They are filled with a gel-like fluid (nucleus pulposus) that asks as a shock absorber, which is protected by a tough circular exterior (annulus fibrosus). When healthy, these discs allow us to bend, twist, and move, and add space so the nerves and spinal column are not disrupted.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc ruptures the surface of the outer layer. When the leaked gel impinges on a nerve, it disrupts how the nerve communicates with the brain and causes symptoms in the body part related to that nerve.
The human body has 23 spinal discs, and any of them can become herniated. However, most herniated discs are in the lumbar region or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your herniated disc, with some people having little to no pain. If the herniation is not pressing up against a nerve, you may not feel any pain at all. Common symptoms of herniated discs include:
- Pain — As the herniated disc disrupts a nerve, that nerve can send pain signals to the brain. The pain is almost always only on either your right or left side. While the location of the herniated disc may be sore, most most of the time pain will reach out to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (herniated discs are a common cause of sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Lack of feeling — Either alongside or in the absence of pain, you may also feel like your buttocks, leg, arm, or shoulder have slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles controlled by the disrupted nerves can weaken if symptoms progress without any treatment. Lack of physical activity as the result of bed rest can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms can come and go, and may be more severe at night, after standing, sitting, or walking for long periods, when bending, and when sneezing, coughing, or laughing.
Who Gets Herniated Discs?
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and has a male to female ratio of 2:1. There are many risk factors for a herniated disc:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Old age
- Inactive lifestyle
Treatment Options For a Herniated Disc in Eden Prairie, MN
There numerous treatment options for a herniated disc. Before seeking professional medical attention, you may try anti-inflammatory medications and applying heating pads and ice to the affected area. But, eventually, it's best to see a medical professional in Eden Prairie, MN. A physician may recommend a steroid injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as difficulty standing or walking or loss of normal bowel function, invasive procedures.
However, studies show a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Moreover, people who are treated by a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
How Eden Prairie, MN Chiropractors Treat Herniated Discs
Your chiropractic treatment for your herniated disc will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. At your initial chiropractic appointment in Eden Prairie, MN, your chiropractor may decide to perform imaging tests. They'll also perform a physical examination, including testing the reflexes and strength of the affected body part. Then, they'll work with you to develop a holistic treatment plan that both eases pain and reduces your likelihood of sustaining another disc injury down the line.
Chiropractors use a variety of techniques to treat herniated discs, including massage, traction, and adjustments. They will also often give advice on how to live healthier, such as exercises to strengthen the spine and improve mobility.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. With various techniques, your Eden Prairie, MN chiropractor perform give quick, targeted thrusts to safely realign your spine, relieving pain as well as providing numerous other benefits. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is the most common chiropractic technique in the world. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize quick thrusts over each joint, one at a time, to correctly align the spine and improve function. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound many people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
Also called the Cox technique, this utilizes a specific type of table with individual segments to perform gentle and rhythmic adjustments. The adjustments, combined with the movements of the table, expand and decompress the spine, and reduce tension between your discs, nerves, vertebrae and joints. Sessions are usually pain-free and, in many cases, pleasant.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting cushioned wedges under each side of your pelvis. This draws the disc away from the affected nerve. Your Eden Prairie, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. While at their office, they might also help you perform safe exercises during your session to further improve mobility.
The herniated disc treatment you receive from your Eden Prairie, MN chiropractor does not begin and end at chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, strive to get to know our clients in their total health journey. We may also include the following in your custom herniated disc treatment plan in Eden Prairie, MN:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a nerve is compressed, it restricts the movement of related muscles. Massage therapy works to liberate that tightness. Massage is particularly good at helping people who are experiencing muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Sitting, standing, and movement with good posture both helps prevent slipped discs and helps keep the symptoms from coming back. Appropriate posture prevents your spine from becoming misaligned and distributes weight evenly across your body. We'll help you understand tips for good posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Lifestyle tips — We want you to feel good every day after your herniated disc treatment with us. We'll also help you understand how a healthy diet and regular exercise helps to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Eden Prairie, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Eden Prairie, MN
Most herniated discs can be healed effectively with professional chiropractic care in Eden Prairie, MN. With safe techniques that have proven to be effective, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us through our website for herniated disc treatment in Eden Prairie, MN today.