Herniated Disc Treatment in Elk River, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Elk River, MN. Herniated discs can be painful, but there is hope. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we work as a team with the people who come to see us to not just mitigate pain, but offer a holistic treatment plan with the objecting of helping them feel better every day. If you're suffering from symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Elk River, MN area, call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
The spinal cord, which sends messages between the brain and the rest of your body, is protected by the vertebrae as it moves upward the spinal column. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through openings on the side of the vertebrae. The discs in our spine are tough, flexible pads between each vertebrae. They are made up of a gel-like material (nucleus pulposus) that asks as a shock absorber, which is protected by a firm circular exterior (annulus fibrosus). When healthy, these discs allow for a variety of movements, and create space so the nerves and spinal column can function properly.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc is pushed out of the outer layer. When the leaked material puts pressure on a nerve, it causes problems for the body part that that specific nerve controls.
The human body has 23 discs in the spine, and any of them can become herniated. However, most occur in the lumbar region or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your injury, with some people not experiencing any pain at all. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — As the herniated disc disrupts a nerve, you can feel pain in the body part that nerve controls. The pain is usually reserved to one side of the body. While the location of the herniated disc may be sore, most pain will radiate to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in your lower back can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (herniated discs are a common cause of sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Lack of feeling — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also feel like your buttocks, leg, arm, or shoulder have slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles controlled by the affected nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise as the result of bed rest can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms can come and go, and may be more worse at a certain time of day, after standing, sitting, or walking for long periods, when bending, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Risk Factors For Herniated Discs
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and has a male to female ratio of 2:1. Someone may be more likely to suffer a herniated disc with:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long time
- Being overweight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Not lifting with proper technique
- Old age
- Not regularly exercising
How Are Herniated Discs Treated in Elk River, MN?
Your herniated disc treatment will depend on the severity of your symptoms and where the disc is located. Before seeking professional medical attention, you may try ibuprofen and varying heat and ice therapy to the affected disc. But, eventually, you should seek professional treatment in Elk River, MN. A physician may advise a steroid injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as debilitating pain or loss of normal bowel control, invasive procedures.
However, studies show a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Furthermore, chiropractic care reduces the likelihood of surgery, and people with back pain who did not get chiropractic treatment are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
Chiropractic For Elk River, MN Herniated Disc Treatment
Your chiropractic treatment for your herniated disc will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. When you first see your Elk River, MN chiropractor, your chiropractor will likely perform imaging tests. They'll also test your pain level reflexes, strength, and sensation in the body part related to the damages nerve. Then, they'll design a comprehensive treatment plan that both reduces your symptoms and decreases your risk of suffering another disc injury down the road.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring alignment to the spine and relieving pressure on the nerves. The objective is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. In these adjustments, your Elk River, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts on your back or neck in order to safely realign your spine, reducing symptoms and improving function. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is the most common chiropractic technique in the world. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize short thrusts over each joint individually to correctly align the spine and improve function. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound many people think of when they're considering visiting a chiropractor.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
Also called the Cox technique, this utilizes a specially designed table with individual segments to carry out gentle and rhythmic adjustments. The adjustments, combined with the movements of the table, stretch and decompress the spine, and reduce pressure on herniated discs. This technique rarely ever causes pain and many patients find they enjoy it.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This helps move the bulging or herniated disc away from the nerve it's affecting. Your Elk River, MN chiropractor will show you how you can do this for yourself at home. While at their office, they will also help you perform safe exercises during your session to further improve mobility.
The herniated disc treatment you receive from your Elk River, MN chiropractor does not begin and end at chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, strive to get to know our clients in their total health journey. We may also incorporate the following in your personalized herniated disc treatment plan in Elk River, MN:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, we also have a licensed massage therapist in our office. When a disc impinges on a nerve, it restricts the movement of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy can help liberate that tightness. Massage is particularly effective if your symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Sitting, standing, and movement with good posture both helps prevent slipped discs and helps keep the symptoms from coming back. Proper posture keeps your spine in correct alignment and distributes weight evenly across your body. We can also teach you tips for correct posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Patient education — We want you to feel good every day after your herniated disc treatment with us. We can also offer nutrition and exercise advice to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Elk River, MN, your treatment plan will be personally tailored to you, and we will put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Elk River, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Elk River, MN, you can alleviate the symptoms related to your herniated disc, reduce the odds of re-injury in the future, and feel better in your everyday life. With safe techniques based on research and modern practices, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for herniated disc treatment in Elk River, MN today.