Herniated Disc Treatment in Hennepin County, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Hennepin County, MN. Herniated discs can be excruciating, but with the right treatment you can overcome your symptoms. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we work as a team with our patients to not only ease pain, but offer corrective care with the objecting of getting them back to optimal mobility and health. If you're suffering from pain and limited motion in the Hennepin County, MN area, Speak to a member of the Total Spine team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for safe and effective herniated disc treatment.
The Anatomy of a Herniated Disc
The spinal cord, which sends messages between the brain and the rest of your body, passes upward through each vertebrae. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through holes on each side of the vertebrae. The discs in our spine act as tough ligaments that cushion the spine and hold it together. They are filled with a jelly-like material (nucleus pulposus) that allows for shock absorption and movement, and have a tough outer layer (annulus fibrosus) that protects the liquid-like center and connects the vertebrae. When intact and functioning normally, these discs allow us to bend, twist, and move, and add space between the nerves and where they exit the spinal column.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc is pushed out of the outer layer. When the leaked material puts pressure on a nerve, it causes problems for the body part that that specific nerve is related to.
The human body has 23 spinal discs, and it's possible to sustain and injury to any of them. However, most herniated discs are in the lumbar region or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your herniated disc, with some people having little to no pain. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — As the herniated disc presses against a nerve, that nerve can send pain signals to the brain. The pain is almost always only on either your right or left side. While you may feel some soreness in the location of the slipped disc, most pain will radiate to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in your lower back can cause pain in your lower back, through your buttocks, thigh, calf, and possibly feet (this is often referred to as sciatica). Herniated discs in the neck may cause symptoms in your shoulder or arm.
- Numbness — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also experience tingling in affected parts of the body.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the affected nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise as the result of bed rest can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more worse at night, after staying in the same position for a long time, when bending, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Why Do Herniated Discs Happen?
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and affects twice as many men as women. Someone may be more likely to suffer a herniated disc with:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Not regularly exercising
Treatment Options For a Herniated Disc in Hennepin County, MN
There are a variety of herniated disc treatments available. At home, you may try over-the-counter medications and varying heat and ice therapy to the affected area. But, eventually, it's best to see a medical professional in Hennepin County, MN. A physician may advise a steroid injection, muscle relaxers, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as difficulty standing or walking or loss of normal bowel control, surgery.
However, studies show that chiropractic is also an effective treatment for a herniated disc. Furthermore, people who are treated by a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
Chiropractic For Hennepin County, MN Herniated Disc Treatment
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. At your initial chiropractic appointment in Hennepin County, MN, your chiropractor will likely perform imaging tests. They'll also test your pain level reflexes, strength, and sensation in the body part related to the damages nerve. Then, they'll work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan aimed at getting you feeling even better than you did before your disc injury.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring spinal alignment and relieving pressure on the nerves. The objective is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. With various techniques, your Hennepin County, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts on your back or neck in order to safely return vertebrae and discs to where they should be, easing symptoms and improving function. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 95% of practicing chiropractors. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize quick thrusts over each joint, one at a time, to correctly align the spine and improve function. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound most people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
Also called the Cox technique, this utilizes a specific type of table with independent segments to carry out gentle and rhythmic adjustments. Your chiropractor will leverage the movements of the table to expand and decompress the spine, and reduce pressure on problematic discs. This technique rarely ever causes pain and many patients find they enjoy it.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This helps move the bulging or herniated disc away from the nerve it's affecting. Your Hennepin County, MN chiropractor will show you how you can do this for yourself at home. While at their office, they will also help you perform safe exercises with the wedges in place to further improve mobility.
The herniated disc treatment you receive from your Hennepin County, MN chiropractor does not begin and end at chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, endeavor to get to know our clients in their total health journey. Your personalized herniated disc treatment plan in Hennepin County, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a nerve is compressed, it restricts the mobility of related muscles. Massage therapy works to free that tension. Massage is especially effective if your symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms reemerging in the future. Appropriate posture keeps your spine in correct alignment and prevents unequal weight distribution. We can also teach you tips for good posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Lifestyle tips — We want you to feel good every day after your herniated disc treatment with us. We can also offer nutrition and exercise advice to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Hennepin County, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Hennepin County, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Hennepin County, MN, you can ease the symptoms related to your herniated disc, reduce the chances of re-injury in the future, and feel better than you did before. With safe techniques that have proven to be effective, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Speak to a member of our team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for herniated disc treatment in Hennepin County, MN today.