Herniated Disc Treatment in Monticello, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Monticello, MN. Herniated discs can be excruciating, but there is hope. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we work as a team with our patients to not only ease symptoms, but offer a holistic treatment plan with the objecting of helping them feel better every day. If you're suffering from symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Monticello, MN area, Speak to a member of our team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us through our website for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
The spinal cord, which controls your body's movements, passes upward through each vertebrae. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through holes on each side of the vertebrae. The discs in our spine act as tough ligaments that cushion the spine and hold it together. They are made up of a gel-like fluid (nucleus pulposus) that allows for shock absorption and movement, and have a firm outer layer (annulus fibrosus) that protects the disc and connects the vertebrae. When healthy, these discs allow for a variety of movements, and add space so the nerves and spinal column are not disrupted.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the annulus fibrosus tears and the nucleus pulposus leaks out. When the leaked material puts pressure on a nerve, it affects the body part that that specific nerve is related to.
The human body has 23 spinal discs, and it's possible to sustain and injury to any of them. However, most herniated discs are in the lower back or neck.
What Are Common Symptoms of a Herniated Discs?
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your herniated disc, with some people having little to no pain. If the herniation is not pressing up against a nerve, you may not feel any pain at all. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is usually reserved to one side of the body. While the location of the herniated disc may be sore, most most of the time symptoms will radiate to your extremities. A herniated disc in the lumbar region can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (this is often referred to as sciatica). Herniated discs in the neck may cause pain in your upper extremities.
- Lack of sensation — Instead of or in addition to pain, you may also feel like a part of your body has slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the affected nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise as the result of bed rest can cause the body to stiffen.
Symptoms can come and go, and may be more worse at a certain time of day, after staying in the same position for a long time, when bending, and when sneezing, coughing, or laughing.
Who Gets Herniated Discs?
About 2% of adults in the U.S. experience a herniated disc annually happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and has a male to female ratio of 2:1. Someone may be more likely to experience a herniated disc with:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long time
- Excessive weight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Poor technique when lifting
- Not being physically active
Treatment Options For a Herniated Disc in Monticello, MN
Your herniated disc treatment will depend on the severity of your symptoms and where the disc is located. At home, you may try over-the-counter medications and applying heating pads and ice to the affected area. But, if your symptoms don't get better and won't go away, you should seek professional treatment in Monticello, MN. A physician may recommend a cortisone injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as difficulty standing or walking or loss of normal bladder function, invasive procedures.
But, studies show that chiropractic can also ease pain and restore function after a herniated disc. Moreover, people who see a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
Chiropractic For Monticello, MN Herniated Disc Treatment
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will be based on your specific situation. At your first chiropractic appointment in Monticello, MN, your chiropractor may decide to take an X-ray. They'll also test your pain level reflexes, strength, and sensation in the body part related to the damages nerve. Then, they'll come up with a personalized treatment plan aimed at getting you feeling even better than you did before your disc injury.
Chiropractors use a variety of techniques to treat herniated discs, including massage, traction, and adjustments. They will also often give advice on lifestyle changes, such as exercises to strengthen the spine and improve mobility.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal adjustments. In these adjustments, your Monticello, MN chiropractor perform give quick, targeted thrusts to safely realign your spine, relieving pain and improving function. Spinal adjustments may involve any one or several of different chiropractic techniques:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 9 out of 10 practicing chiropractors. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize quick thrusts over each joint individually to improve spinal alignment, proper joint function, and mobility. These are what cause the "popping" sound most people associate with chiropractic adjustments.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique utilizes a specially designed table with independent segments to carry out gentle and rhythmic adjustments. Your chiropractor will leverage the movements of the table to elongate the spine and reduce pressure on herniated discs. Sessions are normally pain-free and, in many cases, pleasant.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting to soft blocks under as support under the pelvis. This draws the disc away from the affected nerve. Your Monticello, MN chiropractor can teach you this effective pain-relieving strategy so you can do at home. During your sessions, they will also guide you through safe exercises during your session to further improve mobility.
The herniated disc treatment you receive from your Monticello, MN chiropractor does not begin and end at chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, endeavor to get to know our clients in their total health journey. Your custom herniated disc treatment plan in Monticello, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — In addition to a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a disc presses up against a nerve, it restricts the movement of the muscles that that nerve controls. Massage therapy can help free that tightness. Massage is particularly effective if your symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Sitting, standing, and movement with good posture both helps prevent slipped discs and helps keep the symptoms from coming back. Proper posture prevents your spine from becoming misaligned and distributes weight evenly across your body. We can also teach you tips for good posture while lifting so you don't aggravate a herniated disc when you're physically active.
- Lifestyle tips — Our goal isn't just to provide pain relief in the moment. We'll also help you understand how a healthy diet and regular exercise helps to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you see us for your herniated disc treatment in Monticello, MN, your treatment plan will be personally tailored to you, and we will put you on the best path forward toward optimal movement health.
Visit Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Monticello, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Monticello, MN, you can alleviate pain, reduce the chances of re-injury in the future, and feel better than you did before. With safe techniques based on research and modern practices, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Call us today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us through our website for herniated disc treatment in Monticello, MN today.