Herniated Disc Treatment in Prior Lake, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Prior Lake, MN. Herniated discs can be excruciating, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Chiropractic care is effective at easing pain and restoring mobility, and doesn't involve the potential invasive procedures or medications of other treatment methods. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we partner with the people we treat to not only ease symptoms, but offer a comprehensive treatment plan aimed at getting them back to optimal health and function. If you're suffering from symptoms associated with a herniated disc in the Prior Lake, MN area, call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us through our website for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
What Is a Herniated Disc?
The spinal cord, which controls your body's movements, is protected by the vertebrae as it moves upward the spinal column. Nerve roots connect to the spinal cord through openings on the side of the vertebrae. The discs in our spine are tough, flexible pads between each vertebrae. They are filled with a gel-like fluid (nucleus pulposus) that asks as a shock absorber, and have a firm circular exterior (annulus fibrosus) that protects the liquid-like center and connects the vertebrae. When intact and functioning normally, these discs allow for a variety of movements, and create space between the nerves and where they exit the spinal column.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc is pushed out of the outer layer. When the leaked material pushes up against a nerve, it causes problems for the body part that that specific nerve is related to.
The human body has 23 discs in the spine, and it's possible to suffer and injury to any of them. However, most herniated discs are in the lower back or neck.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your injury, with some people having little to no pain. Many people with a herniated disc do not experience any symptoms for weeks, months, or even years after the herniation. People with herniated discs may experience:
- Pain — The affected nerve will signal to the brain that something is wrong, leading to pain. The pain is usually reserved to one side of the body. While the location of the herniated disc may be sore, most most of the time symptoms will radiate to other parts of your body. A herniated disc in your lower back can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (this is often referred to as sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Numbness — Either alongside or in the absence of pain, you may also experience a numbing sensation in your buttocks, leg, shoulder, or arm.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles controlled by the affected nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise as the result of bed rest can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more worse at a certain time of day, after standing, sitting, or walking for long periods, when bending, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Risk Factors For Herniated Discs
The incidence of a herniated disc is about 5 to 20 cases per 1000 adults annually. It mostly occurs to people between 30 and 50 years old, and affects twice as many men as women. Someone may be more likely to suffer a herniated disc with:
- Performing certain movements repeatedly
- Sitting in the same position for a long period
- Lifting heavy objects
- Not lifting with proper technique
- Not being physically active
How Are Herniated Discs Treated in Prior Lake, MN?
Your herniated disc treatment will depend on the severity of your symptoms and where the disc is located. At home, you may try ibuprofen and applying heating pads and ice to the affected area. But, if your symptoms don't get better and won't go away, you should seek professional treatment in Prior Lake, MN. A physician may prescribe a steroid injection, muscle relaxers, physical therapy, or, in the case of serious symptoms such as weakness or loss of normal bowel function, surgery.
However, the evidence demonstrates a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Moreover, chiropractic care reduces the likelihood of surgery, and people with back pain who did not get chiropractic treatment are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
How Prior Lake, MN Chiropractors Treat Herniated Discs
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will be based on your specific situation. At your first chiropractic appointment in Prior Lake, MN, your chiropractor will probably take an X-ray. They'll also test your pain level reflexes, strength, and sensation in the body part related to the damages nerve. Then, they'll work with you to create a personalized treatment plan aimed at getting you feeling even better than you did before your disc injury.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring alignment to the spine and relieving pressure on the nerves. The objective is to reduce pain and improve function.
When most people think of chiropractors, the think of chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. With various techniques, your Prior Lake, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts on your back or neck in order to safely return vertebrae and discs to where they should be, reducing pain and improving function. There are a variety of chiropractic techniques they may use in your treatment:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 95% of practicing chiropractors. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize quick thrusts over each joint, one at a time, to correctly align the spine and improve function. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound most people think of when they're considering visiting a chiropractor.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
The Cox/Flexion-Distraction technique uses a specific type of table with individual pieces to perform gentle and rhythmic adjustments. The adjustments, combined with the movements of the table, stretch and decompress the spine, and reduce pressure on problematic discs. Sessions are normally pain-free and, in many cases, enjoyable.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting cushioned wedges under each side of your pelvis. This draws the disc away from the affected nerve. Your Prior Lake, MN chiropractor will show you how you can do this for yourself at home. During your appointment, they may also guide you through safe exercises during your session to further improve mobility.
Prior Lake, MN chiropractors offer holistic care that goes well beyond chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, strive to build relationships with all of our patients. We may also incorporate the following in your personalized herniated disc treatment plan in Prior Lake, MN:
- Massage therapy — Beyond just a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a disc presses up against a nerve, it restricts the mobility of related muscles. Massage therapy can help reduce that tension. Massage is especially effective if your symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms reemerging down the road. Good posture keeps your spine in correct alignment and prevents unequal weight distribution. We can also teach you tips for good posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Lifestyle tips — We want you to leave your herniated disc treatment feeling better than you did before you came to see us. We can also offer nutrition and exercise advice to reduce inflammation and make sure your discs are hydrated and healthy.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Prior Lake, MN, we will find out exactly what we can do to help you, and put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Prior Lake, MN
Most herniated discs can be healed effectively with professional chiropractic care in Prior Lake, MN. With safe techniques based on research and modern practices, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Call our team at Total Spine today at (763) 568-7869 or make an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Prior Lake, MN today.