Herniated Disc Treatment in Rockford, MN
Herniated disc treatment in Rockford, MN. Herniated discs can be debilitating, but with the right treatment you can overcome your symptoms. Chiropractic care is a drug-free, non-invasive way to treat herniated discs and ease the pain. At Total Spine Health & Injury Center, we partner with the people who come to see us to not only ease pain, but offer corrective care aimed at getting them back to optimal health and function. If you're suffering from pain and limited motion in the Rockford, MN area, Speak to a member of the Total Spine team today at (763) 568-7869 or contact us online for meaningful and lasting herniated disc treatment.
The Anatomy of a Herniated Disc
The spinal cord and nerve roots that send messages between the brain and the rest of your body pass through openings in each vertebra of your spine. The discs in our spine are tough, flexible pads between each vertebrae. They are made up of a gel-like substance (nucleus pulposus) that allows for shock absorption and movement, which is protected by a tough outer layer (annulus fibrosus). When healthy, these discs allow our spines to move in a variety of ways, and add space between the nerves and where they exit the spinal column.
A herniated disc is a spinal injury that occurs when the a fragment of the gel-like inner disc is pushed out of the outer layer. When the leaked gel impinges on a nerve, it disrupts how the nerve communicates with the brain and causes symptoms in the body part associated with that nerve.
There are 23 discs in the spine, and it's possible to sustain and injury to any of them. However, most herniated discs are in the lower back or neck.
What Are Common Symptoms of a Herniated Discs?
Symptoms vary based on the severity and location of your injury, with some people not experiencing any pain at all. If the herniation is not interfering with a nerve, you may not feel any pain at all. Common symptoms of herniated discs include:
- Pain — As the herniated disc interferes with a nerve, you can feel pain in the body part that nerve controls. The pain is usually reserved to either your right or left side. While you may feel some pain in the location of the slipped disc, most pain will move to your extremities. A herniated disc in your lower back can cause pain in your lower back all the way down to your calves (this is often referred to as sciatica). Neck and shoulder pain are common symptoms of herniated discs in the neck.
- Numbness — Either alongside or in the absence of pain, you may also feel like your buttocks, leg, arm, or shoulder have slightly fallen asleep.
- Weakness and stiffness — The muscles related to the affected nerves can weaken if the disc is left untreated. Lack of exercise stemming from other symptoms can cause certain body parts to become stiff.
Symptoms are not always constant, and may be more severe at night, after staying in the same position for a long time, when performing certain movements, and when you laugh, sneeze, or cough.
Who Gets Herniated Discs?
About 2% of American adults suffer a herniated disc annually happens to people in the third to fifth decade in life, and affects twice as many men as women. There are numerous risk factors for a herniated disc:
- Repetitive bending or twisting
- Sitting in the same position for a long time
- Being overweight
- Lifting heavy objects
- Not lifting with proper technique
- Inactive lifestyle
Treatment Options For a Herniated Disc in Rockford, MN
There are a variety of herniated disc treatments available. Before seeking treatment from a professional, you may try over-the-counter medications and varying heat and ice therapy to the affected area. But, if your symptoms don't get better and won't go away, you should seek professional treatment in Rockford, MN. A physician may advise a cortisone injection, opioids, physical therapy, or, in the case of severe symptoms such as weakness or loss of normal bowel function, invasive procedures.
But, studies show a chiropractor can also successfully treat a herniated disc. Moreover, people who see a chiropractor are less likely to need surgery, and people with back pain who choose non-chiropractic treatment options are 64% more likely to receive a prescription for opioids.
How Rockford, MN Chiropractors Can Help With Herniated Discs
Your chiropractic herniated disc treatment will be based on your medical history, activity level, age, and the specifics of your injury. When you first see your Rockford, MN chiropractor, your chiropractor will likely perform imaging tests. They'll also perform a physical examination, including testing the reflexes and strength of the affected body part. Then, they'll work with you to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that both reduces your symptoms and decreases your risk of sustaining another disc injury down the line.
Chiropractic care for herniated discs focuses on restoring alignment to the spine and relieving pressure on the nerves. The goal is to reduce pain and improve function.
Chiropractors are most known for giving what's called chiropractic adjustments, or spinal alignments. With various techniques, your Rockford, MN chiropractor will give quick, targeted thrusts on your back or neck in order to safely return vertebrae and discs to their proper alignment, easing pain and improving function. There are a variety of chiropractic techniques they may use in your treatment:
The Diversified Technique
The diversified technique is used by over 95% of practicing chiropractors. With this technique, your chiropractor will utilize short thrusts over each joint individually to correctly align the spine and improve function. The diversified technique results in the "popping" sound most people think of when they think of chiropractors.
The Flexion-Distraction Technique
Also called the Cox method, this utilizes a specific type of table with individual segments to perform gentle and rhythmic adjustments. Your chiropractor will leverage the movements of the table to elongate the spine and reduce tension between your discs, nerves, vertebrae and joints. Sessions are usually pain-free and, in many cases, enjoyable.
The Pelvic Blocking Technique
Pelvic blocking involves putting cushioned wedges under each side of your pelvis. This draws the disc away from the affected nerve. Your Rockford, MN chiropractor will show you how you can do this for yourself at home. During your sessions, they will also guide you through safe exercises with the wedges in place to further improve mobility.
The herniated disc treatment you receive from your Rockford, MN chiropractor does not begin and end at chiropractic adjustments. At Total Spine, want to build relationships with all of our patients. Your tailored herniated disc treatment plan in Rockford, MN may also include:
- Massage therapy — Beyond just a chiropractor, our team also includes a licensed massage therapist. When a nerve is compressed, it limits the flexibility of related muscles. Massage therapy can help free that tightness. Massage is particularly effective if your symptoms include muscle spasms.
- Posture correction — Good posture can not only help prevent herniated discs, but can reduce the likelihood of symptoms coming back down the road. Good posture keeps your spine in correct alignment and distributes weight evenly across your body. We'll help you understand tips for good posture while lifting and when performing other movements.
- Patient education — Our goal isn't just to provide pain relief in the moment. We show you things you can do on your own for longevity and quality of life, movement and mobility.
When you come to us for your herniated disc treatment in Rockford, MN, your treatment plan will be personally tailored to you, and we will put you on the best path forward toward living your best life.
Trust in Total Spine For Your Herniated Disc Treatment in Rockford, MN
Most herniated discs do not require surgery or other invasive methods. With professional chiropractic care in Rockford, MN, you can alleviate the symptoms related to your herniated disc, reduce the chances of re-injury in the future, and feel better than you did before. With safe techniques that have proven to be effective, Total Spine will work with you to recover from your injuries. Speak to a member of our team today at (763) 568-7869 or schedule an appointment online for herniated disc treatment in Rockford, MN today.